March 15, 2018: Federal Report; Everything you need to know for the 2018 Tax Season.

March 15, 2018: Federal Report;
Everything you need to know for the 2018 Tax Season.

By Catherine McKenna, MP Ottawa Centre.

Tax season is in full-swing and I want to make sure you have all of the information you need to easily and successfully file your taxes for 2017.

Our government has made it easier for Canadians to receive the credits and benefits they are entitled to through two major service changes. First, Canadians who filed by paper last year will automatically have their forms and guides mailed to them directly. If you filed by paper and have not received a package in the mail, please contact my community office.

Others who want to file on paper can download the forms online at , call the CRA at 1-855-330-3305 (for service in English) or 1-855-330-3310 (for service in French), or get a package from my community office.

Second, there is now a “File My Return” automated phone service for individuals on low or fixed incomes. File My Return is free, secure and easy to use by giving some personal information and answering a series of short questions over the phone.. There are no paper forms to fill out or calculations to do. Those who are eligible will have received an invitation letter in the mail in mid-February 2018.

I also want to make sure you are aware of benefits you might be entitled to. Here are some of the most common benefits:

  • Canada Child Benefit (CCB)
    This benefit helps with the cost of raising children. In Ottawa Centre 7,340 families receive an average $5,410 per year from this benefit.
  • Child Disability Benefit.
    This is a tax-free benefit of up to $2,730 per year for families who care for a child under age 18 with a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions.
  • Working income tax benefit.
    This is a benefit designed to help individuals and families in the workforce who have low-income. Eligibility is based upon the income of individuals and families.

For a complete list of benefits, you can visit: .
If you need help filing your taxes, the Community Volunteer Tax Program is available for Canadians who make a modest living. To find local tax clinics in Ottawa Centre, you can visit the Canada Revenue Agency website or call my community office.

Canadians have until April 30, 2018 to complete their 2017 tax returns and until June 15, 2018 if they are self employed.

My community office is here to assist you in any way we can. Feel free to give the office a call or a send an email.

[Ed: I think this link of a list of CRA forms will work better for our readers ]

%d bloggers like this: